- Strategic communications professional driven by a belief in constituent-driven and donor-centered communication.
- Leader of an award-winning media relations program, securing more than 100 million media impressions annually.
- More than 20 years of professional writing experience, as a journalist, corporate copywriter and cause marketer.
- Crisis-tested spokesperson with experience in proactive and reactive environments.
- Ethically-guided brand manager that believes cause marketing must be mission-focused.
Alzheimer’s Association, Central New York Chapter (2003 to Present)
Chief Communications Officer: March 2011 to Present
Director of Communications and Information Technology: July 2008 to March 2011
Public Affairs Director: January 2005 to July 2008
Coordinator of Public Relations/Advocacy: March 2003 to January 2005
- Develop news releases, position statements, talking points, fact sheets, and constituent communications for internal and external usage. Provide message training to staff at all levels.
- Coordinate multi-channel online constituent communications: email, website, social media, digital advertising, and Google AdWords. Manage and analyze agency social media accounts.
- Act as chapter spokesperson. Provide crisis communications direction and counsel.
- Serve on chapter’s senior management team, providing strategic leadership and oversight of communications, government affairs and information technology. Contribute to grant management team providing oversight to $2 million in New York State Department of Health funds.
- Write, edit and design chapter print publications, including brochures, fundraising appeals, and programs and services promotional materials.
- Utilize industry-standard digital measurements of user engagement to create content and deliver a user-focused web and social media experience.
- Authored and designed multiple direct mail campaigns.
- Serve on Alzheimer’s Association national advisory groups for public policy and social media.
Coalition of New York State Alzheimer’s Association Chapters (2003 to 2016)
State Government Affairs Contact: May 2013 to November 2016
Chapter Staff Liaison: March 2003 to Present
- Direct statewide agency-to-advocate communications, including online advocacy engagement of more than 100,000 Alzheimer’s advocates. Assist in managing Coalition Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Write and edit position papers, letters of support, legislative platforms, and other peripheral materials. Conduit between New York State Alzheimer’s Association chapters and national Alzheimer’s Association public policy division.
- Develop and execute media strategy and act as spokesperson. Represent Coalition at community gatherings and government functions.
- Interact with leaders of New York State government and the United States Congress in advocacy of legislative, funding, and regulatory positions.
- Principal organizer of annual statewide advocacy rally, gathering more than 200 advocates.
Bryant & Stratton College, Syracuse North Campus (2003 to 2010)
Adjunct Instructor: January 2003 to December 2010
- Graphic design courseload included problem solving and marketing, digital image editing, career preparation, typographic design, page layout, and vector-based graphic design
- Liberal arts courseload included research and writing, and career preparation
Cablexpress Technologies (2001 to 2002)
Copywriter: May 2001 to January 2002
- Led the creation and development of internal communication pieces, including promotional and training materials for sales staff, and speeches, presentations and written communication from senior leadership to employees.
- Developed and produced printed and electronic communications to support corporate marketing plan. Edited and proofread all external corporate communication.
- Composed executive correspondence and speeches.
- Contributed to redesign and rewrite of corporate and product websites, and e-newsletters.
Syracuse University Office of Athletic Communications (1999 to 2001)
Assistant: August 1999 to May 2001
- Acted as primary media liaison for the men's and women's swimming and diving, and women's volleyball, softball, and tennis teams.
- Provided assistance to the primary media liaison for football, men's and women's basketball, and lacrosse.
- Wrote and designed media and recruitment guides
Syracuse University, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication
Master of the Arts, 2001
Concentration: Newspaper Journalism
St. Bonaventure University
Bachelor of the Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication, 1999
Major: Journalism/Mass Communications Minor: History
Volunteer and Community Service
- Show Us CNY, assistant to the principal organizer (2014 to Present)
- Social Media Breakfast Syracuse, advisory committee (2013 to Present)
- Future Fund of CNY (Central New York Community Foundation), steering committee (2005 to 2008)
- Erie Canal Museum, Board of Trustees (2005 to 2006)
- Onondaga Citizens League, Board of Directors (2005 to 2006)
- Thursday Morning Roundtable, Syracuse University, member (2005 to 2007)
- Outstanding Achievement in Advancing Public Policy — State Actions, presented by the Alzheimer’s Association (2016, 2017)
- Outstanding Achievement in Advancing Public Policy — Congressional Actions, presented by the Alzheimer’s Association (2016, 2017)
- Outstanding Achievement in Increasing Concern and Awareness, presented by the Alzheimer’s Association (2012)
- Constant Contact E-Marketing All-Star (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- M&T Bank/CNY Business Journal 40 Under 40 Award (2006)
- Multiple College Sports Information Directors Association publications awards
- Hootsuite Pro
- Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics
- Adobe Creative Cloud, including graphic design, web design and audio production platforms
- Wondershare Filmora
- Microsoft Office
- CMS platforms including WordPress and RedDot
- Google Apps for Business, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords
- Blackbaud fundraising products, including The Raiser’s Edge, Kintera, and Luminate
- Advance Media New York (Syracuse.com/NYUp.com): Restaurant criticism for Syracuse.com/The Post Standard; craft beer reviews and travel-related articles for NYUp.com.
- Pitchfork Media/Conde Nast (Oct.co): Essays about the craft beer industry and craft beer reviews for October.
- Gizmodo Media Group: Contributed parenting essays for Deadspin.com's subsite Adequate Man.